Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Official Pilot

On October 22nd Steve passed his pilot's license test! Whoot Whoot! Our first flight together was two days later to beautiful Orcas Island for lunch. 


Point Wilson - Fort Worden, Port Townsend WA

It's a bit of a challenge to photograph at such a high speed through the concave windshield with constant vibrations. I'll figure it out with lots of practice!  LOTS and LOTS of practice!! It was very cool flying through the Whidbey Island airspace and having the fighter pilots fly UNDER us!  I believe I gasped and giggled at the same time ... is that a gisple?




Below is Deception Pass, Whidbey Island ...





Friday Harbor, Washington

The very same island we took the whale watching cruise to last month. By boat, car and plane I'm getting a blended perspective of the beautiful area I live in! I'm more thoroughly convinced there is no where in the world more beautiful than my home!


I did fairly well with the turbulance though Steve was kind in keeping everything mellow. I suppose he didn't want to have to break in the barf bags. It's a little different perspective in a wee plane vs. an airliner.

We landed at the Orcas Island Airport and walked the little trail into the quaint town. I believe it is less than a mile from the airstrip. I had a school friend that used to spend her summer vacations at Orcas ... now I know why.

Located in the San Juan Islands:
http://orcasislandchamber.com/map.php




The quaint little town offers eclectic shopping including an entire store just for the fairy princesses! Little handmade gauze tutus in bright bold colors with coordinating magic wands, ribbons and other frills. I know where I will be shopping for my grand daughters! There is also an assortment of nautical shops, massage therapists, adventure gear, herbalists, a wide variety of artistic galleries and even a fortune teller for those who are feeling lucky!

The buildings are beautiful and each very unique, from the picture perfect church on the water to the specialty coffee shoppe with Mr. and Mrs. Pumpkin on the grassy lawn. Steve and I ate at an unnamed restaurant at the suggestion of a trusted friend ... we wont be going back to THAT particular restaurant. It just wasn't our cup of tea. It's probably hard to find good help on a tiny little island. However, the adjacent bread shop is to DIE for and we bought a loaf of fresh garlic walnut focaccia and a brownie to share. Wow. Good stuff!


There appeared to be many other choices of restaurants that we are both eager to try ... next time. We have several other islands to explore first!



The skies turned dramatic as we headed back towards home. I didn't realize that up in the air going 190 mph that you really don't need windshield wipers ... the water just beads right off!

Yes Mom, that's 190 miles per hour. Sorry.




If you look down at the bottom of the above photograph, you'll see my little crocs ... I can't quite reach the rudder pedals ... which is GOOD (for now).  But I CAN reach a whole assortment of buttons, doohickeys and gadget controls ... including a seat warmer. Steve almost has me convinced that I will need to learn how to land the plane for that once in a lifetime emergency ...

And if you can't read what it says on the dash ...


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment