Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Skydiving with Dad

October 14, 2011 - Skydive Snohomish - 12,000 Feet/Tandem Jump!

Seriously! Did I forget to mention that Pops and I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane?



The idea first took seed when Steve took Dad for a spin in the RV to Harvey Field. I was only going to "accompany" Dad as his ground support but found myself signing away all the rights of my grandchildren's grandchildren in the event my chute and my secondary chute didn't open in time. Really, it's Steve's fault for taking over the ground support position. Thank you Steve!




Dad decided to jump with one leg on and one leg off. That way, when the footage made it back to the amputee support group at the VA Hospital, all his comrades could see that it could be done either way. With or without. He inspires us all!



For those of you wanting to do it, but hesitent ... don't wait. Just do it! I had no idea what to expect but anticipated that my stomach would feel like I was falling forever and ever (which is why I didn't foolishly eat a chili dog before jumping). The floopy-whoopy tummy only happens when you pull the shoot not during the prolonged freefall phase. While free falling you're going so incredibly fast (120 miles per hour) that it feels like you're mounted on the front of the fastest freight train in the world. It's awesome! I giggled all the way down to the ground.

Here's a three minute clip of our jump: http://youtu.be/vNcAO1LmnNI

No comments:

Post a Comment